In partnership with U.S. Bank, the City of Overland Park implemented an Accounts payable automation (APA) program in July 2012.
APA is a way to improve the purchase-to-pay process, some of the benefits include:
- Efficiency – An efficient purchase-to-pay process means timely invoice approvals and payments, resulting in satisfied vendors.
- Cost Savings – Savings opportunities, lower administrative expenses, and reduction in printing and mailing costs.
- Transparency and visibility – The City can gain real-time knowledge and visibility into the “spend” side of the City to identify all invoices even before the approval process has completed.
Facilities Management, Information Technology, Finance, City Clerk and City Manager were the first departments to join the new program.
The following statistics relate to invoices processed by Overland Park during the time period of July 2012 through May 2013:
- 58 vendors are currently participating in the APA program
- $2,051,805.32 in invoices have been paid to the vendors since inception
- Average amount paid out to vendors each month: $186,527.76
- Average invoices processed each month: 120
- Total invoices processed since inception: 1,328
Overland Park is in the midst of rolling out the APA program to the Public Works department this Fall and the Fire Department in early 2014.
For more information contact the Chief Financial Officer at 913-895-6154.