This information is provided to assist candidates during current elections.
The next City election will be held in 2013.
If required, a primary election will be held on February 26, 2013. A primary election will be held for any office for which more than two (2) persons have filed. The top two vote getters in the primary election shall move on to the general election.
The general election will be held on April 2, 2013.
All candidates for Overland Park City offices must complete the following filing forms at City Hall, 8500 Santa Fe Drive. The filing deadline is 12:00 noon on Tuesday, January 22, 2013.
- Candidate's Declaration of Intention
- Statement of Substantial Interests for Local Office - to be completed and returned no later than 10 days after filing deadline.
Qualifications to File for Office
- You must be a citizen of the United States.
- You must be a resident of Overland Park at the time of filing for election.
- You must be registered to vote and be a resident in the ward for which you are filing at the time of filing for election.
- If elected, you must continue to reside in the ward thereafter for the duration of the term unless removal from the ward is the result of reapportionment.
First class cities collect a non-refundable $50 filing fee and a nonrefundable $35 fee for support of the State Governmental Ethics Commission; in two separate checks:
- $50 - payable to the Johnson County Election Commissioner
- $35 - payable to the City (will be forwarded to the State Treasurer's Office)
Candidates may also File by Petition per K.S.A. 25-2110a, Subsection C: Petition signed by 100 qualified electors of the ward or by a number of such qualified electors of the ward equal to not less than 1 percent of the ballots cast in the ward at the last General City Election, whichever is less.
City candidates filing by petition must also pay the $35 fee for support of the Kansas State Governmental Ethics Commission. Refer to the Johnson County Election office for more information.
Term of Office
Mayor and Councilmembers serve four-year terms. The city has six wards, with two councilmembers elected from each ward on staggered terms.
Open Positions - 2013 Election
- One Councilmember from each of the following Wards: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, & 6